Skip to main content

"Set your intention"

As I deepened my stretch into downward dog on Tuesday at yoga class, I heard some magical words: "now is the time to go ahead and set your intention". I was stoked! I have had so many intentions lately and since I was back at the gym after a week of strep throat I decided to focus my intention on "strong body". Yeah, this could mean a lot of things, but to me, on day one of my regular near death experience (also known as a very regular period) it meant that I could feel my muscles (and not just the uterine ones) reaching and stretching and lengthening through the poses........

Having a strong body has been a process for me my whole life. As a teenager I didn't realize what I had, which is pretty normal, most teenagers have a pretty warped body image in one way or another. I spent some time playing on the soccer team (where I wasn't all that great, but it was an amazing workout) and my senior year of high school I mustered up the guts to wear a swimsuit every day and join the swim team, which happened to be one of the best decisions of my young life. I learned so many things that year, but one of my favorites was how I learned to really feel strong and be in tune with my muscles. My favorite stroke was the butterfly and I wasn't too bad at it (no Michael Phelps of course, but not bad). There's nothing like the smell of fresh pool water on a sunny day and the rhythmic sounds of the water as it's enveloping arms that are being carefully and swiftly guided, stroke after stroke down a lane...and then the quiet gurgles and bubbles beneath the water....the spewing of air mixed with water as you catch that instantaneous breath before going back down for more... There is just something about swimming that fills me with life and love. Anyway, I was always pretty active physically until becoming pregnant with my first child and then the rigors of pregnancy set in and that was the end of it--pregnancy spelled disaster for me in so many ways. Luckily, after that was over I was able to get back into shape in about a 15 months and I stayed that way until I got pregnant again 4 years later. That was in 2013 and since I got pregnant again in 2014 I never had a chance to lose the excess weight from the second time around. Being overweight, exhausted in every way, and now with three young children, I joined the greatest gym this side of Olympia in 2015. 

Once I started going to workout classes and feeling like I was part of a 'health community', or at the very least a large group of people who were trying to accomplish some fitness goals, I was on a roll. Kind of. Despite attending the gym on a regular basis and trying to keep a pretty varied routine, I haven't lost all the weight I want to, nor is my body where I want it to be, but I feel so much more capable. I have learned that yoga and Pilates are fantastic ways to get strong and lean and build up some cardio endurance, and that shakin' things up once or twice a week with some high intensity aerobic activity is something that my body really responds well to--And my mind gets a heavy dose of endorphins when I do that too....I wish I could bottle that up and save my joints a little more, but it's SO worth it. 

(Back on that ol' train of thought...)

Ya see, a strong body doesn't mean you have to be next in line for the try outs for American Ninja Warrior. It doesn't even mean you have to drink protein smoothies daily or eat kale or bench press dolphins on a beachfront. It means that you are in tune with your body and what it can and cannot do. Having a strong body means that you know your physical limits, and that you also know how to stretch those limits to allow for growth. (Of course, to develop better physical strength you also have to eat properly, which is a whole other issue, but one thing at a time right?) For me, one of the greatest things about setting my intention on "strong body" is that I'm not just mentally focusing on my physical strength, but by combining a 'mental' with a 'physical', the two are melding together and strengthening one another. Intentions are beautiful things. An intention begins in the mind as a thought, and with effort and focus, it becomes reality. The more I learn about how important my thoughts are and how much they affect the rest of my life, the more grateful I am that I get to choose what I do with my thoughts. I can keep them, let them go, alter and adjust and tweak them--it's all up to me. I'm not even obligated to believe something I don't want to believe! (And I don't believe in obligations either, if you wanted to know.) It's just that amazing. Thoughts people. Thoughts. Now, think about that. What intention will you set today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guess what??!

Did you know that we all have the same 24 hours in each day??? I have really been focusing on this idea when my coaches talk about the idea of "being busy". They repeatedly remind us that "busyness" is a thought, not a circumstance. Aside from that, you can only even do one thing at a time , so even if you are busy it doesn't matter because you can only do what you can do in a single moment. There are tons of people in this great big world that wear their busyness as a badge of honor; sometimes we even use it as an excuse for why we don't want to do something or can't possibly do something. If I'm being honest, I have to admit to doing all of these things at least a few times in my life, especially as an adult. Over the last couple of years though, since I've decided to live my life more intentionally, I've developed more of a sense of doing things because I want to do them, not out of obligation. If it's something that I care about or wa

Opposition, my Friend

Life is a funny thing some times. For the last month or so I have been all over the place (in a non-literal way). My brain has been in a huge fog of thoughts that I haven't been able to pin down. Sometimes they feel clear and intelligent, but other times they are just messy and irrational. It's a strange feeling and I'm wondering if it's my body's way of giving me heck. It also causes me to wonder if this is something that so-called 'crazy' people go through before they have a major break down. Either way, I'm getting through it, one day at a time. I'm also hoping that writing will help condense the fog into some kind of intelligent clarity rain drops or something.... Here I am! Showing up! In full force.  I want to tell you about a challenge I have joined with a coach named Molly Phair . This is a 6 week challenge ("rock your body-holiday version") and it requires participants to track things like nutrition, exercise, and a variety of

New Year. New You??

Happy 2018!  Here I am! Having survived a new years nightmare of sickness in my family, I'm alive and kicking..sort of. I have had so many thoughts lately about newness and starting over and new things, you know, in preparation for the new year. It was especially exciting to me that the new year started on a Monday so I could start a new week with all the new and wonderful things I was going to do in 2018. Since it didn't quite work out that way, I had to let all that go. I have just been doing what I can do and letting everything else be what it is.  After listening to several amazing podcasts by Brooke Castillo I wanted to do my own little 'year in review'. What did I do, endure or accomplish in 2017? What are my goals for 2018? If you listen to Brooke's podcast about her year in review and her new year in review, you'll notice she speaks about the future as if it has already happened. This is a fabulous way to think! I highly recommend you check it out a