Skip to main content

New Year. New You??

Happy 2018! 

Here I am! Having survived a new years nightmare of sickness in my family, I'm alive and kicking..sort of. I have had so many thoughts lately about newness and starting over and new things, you know, in preparation for the new year. It was especially exciting to me that the new year started on a Monday so I could start a new week with all the new and wonderful things I was going to do in 2018. Since it didn't quite work out that way, I had to let all that go. I have just been doing what I can do and letting everything else be what it is. 

After listening to several amazing podcasts by Brooke Castillo I wanted to do my own little 'year in review'. What did I do, endure or accomplish in 2017? What are my goals for 2018? If you listen to Brooke's podcast about her year in review and her new year in review, you'll notice she speaks about the future as if it has already happened. This is a fabulous way to think! I highly recommend you check it out and let her explain it all to you. Without further ado, (yes that's how you spell it, I looked it up!) here is my Year in Review:

For 2017:
Spent a few months working in the office, then began working from home
Began preparations for moving and steadily worked at it for 6 months
Spent more time with some amazing friends, supporting and strengthening our sisterhood
Steadily attended the gym and increased personal challenges in working out
Spent the entire year in the Be Bold program with Jody Moore  and did 'my work' retraining my brain and correcting thought patterns
Took a leap with my hubby and moved to a small town to start our veterinary practice
Spent MANY hours as a SAHM/WAHM exploring how to spend our time together and also teach my kids to be independent 
Freed myself from the fear of letting my little girl ride the school bus
Watched my little boy start preschool
Experienced mental/emotional light in my life, endured some of 'my darkness', then was able to get back to the good place; discovered what corrects it
I created a happier marriage for myself by dropping my expectations of my spouse, allowing him to be who he is and loving him that way, and bringing myself the happiness I seek (b/c remember, nobody can make you feel something, it's a choice.)

For 2018:
Theme for the year: LIVE WITH INTENTION 
Develop a plan for daily life and live by it; be a planner
Establish a healthy lifestyle for our family and live by it
Don't procrastinate the little things (and big things); plan them and DO them
Live in the present--here and now--one day at a time
Create a 1 year, 3 year, 5 year plan for myself and for my family
Set weekly goals and share them
Study yoga/mindfulness/meditation and be a doer
Read the Book of Mormon every single day, no set amount, just read it
Write or blog on a weekly basis

These are my goals. Some are easier than others, and some will happen faster than the others, and that's okay. I'm also taking part in my second year of the Be Bold program and so looking forward to all the opportunities to work on myself as a person. I've got a great list on my audio book wish list at the library, so this is going to be a well-read year for me. 

I want to hear your goals! What did you do last year? What are you going to do this year??? 

To close out this post, I want to explain my title: New Year. New You?? It's a question because really, are we ever going to be new people? Nope! Not unless you believe in reincarnation (and even then you are still the same spirit...). We are always the same person, but we DO and CAN become better versions of ourselves. What version of you do you want to be? We can be like iPhones---always introducing a new version with a couple minor changes, but better, and even more expensive! ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Opposition, my Friend

Life is a funny thing some times. For the last month or so I have been all over the place (in a non-literal way). My brain has been in a huge fog of thoughts that I haven't been able to pin down. Sometimes they feel clear and intelligent, but other times they are just messy and irrational. It's a strange feeling and I'm wondering if it's my body's way of giving me heck. It also causes me to wonder if this is something that so-called 'crazy' people go through before they have a major break down. Either way, I'm getting through it, one day at a time. I'm also hoping that writing will help condense the fog into some kind of intelligent clarity rain drops or something.... Here I am! Showing up! In full force.  I want to tell you about a challenge I have joined with a coach named Molly Phair . This is a 6 week challenge ("rock your body-holiday version") and it requires participants to track things like nutrition, exercise, and a variety of

Guess what??!

Did you know that we all have the same 24 hours in each day??? I have really been focusing on this idea when my coaches talk about the idea of "being busy". They repeatedly remind us that "busyness" is a thought, not a circumstance. Aside from that, you can only even do one thing at a time , so even if you are busy it doesn't matter because you can only do what you can do in a single moment. There are tons of people in this great big world that wear their busyness as a badge of honor; sometimes we even use it as an excuse for why we don't want to do something or can't possibly do something. If I'm being honest, I have to admit to doing all of these things at least a few times in my life, especially as an adult. Over the last couple of years though, since I've decided to live my life more intentionally, I've developed more of a sense of doing things because I want to do them, not out of obligation. If it's something that I care about or wa